“Love is our true essence.” Amma, the Mother of Immortal Bliss.
Love is our true essence, and other lesson from Amma.
If you have not heard of Amma, a Hindu Spiritual Leader and Guru, aka “The Hugging Saint”, then let me introduce you to her and some of her teachings briefly. What I know for sure is that when something ‘jumps” out at you three or more times, it is a sign from the Universe trying to get your attention. I first heard about Amma a few years ago, and ever since she keeps popping up in my life and I am glad she does.
Amma is known as “The Hugging Saint,” because according to her website, “for the past 35 years Amma has dedicated her life to the uplifting of suffering humanity through the simplest of gestures — an embrace. She lives from moment to moment in a constant state of supreme happiness, warmly embracing thousands of people day after day, wiping their tears, giving them her divine guidance and offering solace to all who come to her.”
She is also known for her humanitarian work which includes a program to house the homeless, build orphanages, and provide relief-and-rehabilitation in the aftermath of disasters such as the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. Her charities provide free medical care, pensions for widows and disabled people, aid environmental-protection groups, renovate and urbanize slums, build care facilities for the elderly, and offer free food and clothing for the poor.
Like any person in the public eye, she also gets her fair share of critisism, but one can’t help but feel peaceful watching her in action, or reading some of her teachings. Because she keeps popping up in my life, and because I feel peaceful just looking at her, I’d thought I’d share some of my favorite Amma quotes with you. May you feel hugged and at peace as you read these quotes I selected for you. Virtual Hug! ((())))
Some awesome Amma sayings:
- Our real father and mother is God. Others are only foster parents
- The love that exists in the heart cannot be spoken; it cannot be put in words
- Realize that the real problem is not what is happening, but how you are reacting to it
- Discontentment is the real poverty; contentment the real prosperity
- Never forget God. Never forget your real Source. Never move away from the real center within you
- Only by giving will we receive
- Facing the different situations of life with a positive attitude and openness brings maturity and understanding
- It doesn’t matter if one believes in God or not as long as he or she serves others
- Forgive. It is the way to Peace and Love
- Even when you work, your thoughts should be on God (Love). Any work you do while focusing your mind on God is karma yoga
- There is no difference between the Creator and creation, just as there is no difference between the ocean and its waves
- Patience, constant enthusiasm and firm determination are necessary factors for success
- Never return anger with the same. An angry person needs to be calmed down, not aggravated
- When your heart is filled with nothing but love, all of Nature will be your friend and will serve you
- When understood deeply, painful experiences have a positive effect on our life
- Every moment of life is so utterly precious, such a rare opportunity. We should not waste it
- Pray: May none of my thoughts, words or deeds ever harm anyone
- Love is our true essence
Watch Amma in action: Amma – The ‘hugging saint’ – YouTube
Image by: niyam bhushan